What is Perineal Steaming?
Perineal steaming (also known as Yoni Steaming or Vaginal Steaming) is a common practice that has been performed by women in cultures all over the world- from China, the Central America and everywhere in between.
It is as it sounds- using steam on the perineal area.
Don’t worry though- your modesty is preserved at all times and at no point will you need to expose your genitals to anyone!
How Does Perineal Steaming work?
Very simply put, it helps to soften and soothe the tissue it is contacting.
Because the area is being warmed it encourages blood flow, which then in turn can encourage healing.
This is usually used in conjunction with Mayan Abdominal Massage or acupuncture, as it helps with the flow of blood, lymph, and energy through the pelvis where it can get congested.
What is involved?
Initially we will sit down and have a talk about your specific health concerns and I will go over any questions that you may have before we get started.
Once you are ready to go you can go and remove your underwear and change into a purpose made steaming skirt (or you can bring your own maxi skirt if you prefer). While you are doing this I will prepare the steaming area.
What do I mean by this?
If I think you need some herbs to help with any symptoms you may have then I will put those into the steamer, along with the hot water- bringing it to temperature and making sure it won’t burn you.
Once you are changed and the steamer is ready, you will sit on a custom stool that has an opening in the middle to allow the steam to go onto your perinium area. The skirt will help to isolate the steam to immediately under you, you may drape some additional towels or blankets around your legs to ensure you stay warm through the whole process. You will stay here for up to an hour, during this time you can read, relax, meditate, or just close your eyes. Please feel free to bring some headphones and listen to an audiobook or podcast during this time if that is something you enjoy doing.
Won’t I get burnt?
While the steam is directly under you, it is far enough away that a lot of the intense heat has dissipated.
I will also show you how to “turn down the heat” if you do start to feel a bit too warm (it should feel comforting and radiant- not burny!).
Why would I look at having one?
There are many reasons as to why you may choose to do a perineal steam.
In times past, steaming has been used traditionally to help with many menstruation/gynaecological issues:
- Reduction in pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation
- Decrease menstrual flow
- Regulation of irregular or absent menstrual cycles
- Other menstruation issues
- Increase fertility
- More rapid healing and a toning of the reproductive system after giving birth
- Assistance with uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse & endometriosis
- Aiding the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy, or C-section scar
- Treatment of chronic vaginal/yeast infections, and works to maintain healthy odor
- Relief for symptoms of menopause including dryness or pain
- Reconnection to the Earth and ancient women’s wisdom
- Release of stored emotions
Steaming can also be used for guys!
- Prostate issues
- Issues with reproduction/erections
Both men and women are also able to use Perineal Steaming for digestive issues:
- Assisting with constipation
- Assistance with the healing of hemorrhoids
Are there times when I shouldn’t steam?
There are a few different circumstances when steaming may not be an option for you, these include:
- When you have your period (when you are spotting it is ok, but not when you have a heavier flow)
- If you have an IUD or Implanon (steaming may increase your lining which increases your fertility which can impact the efficacy of your contraception)
- If you have any surgical mesh
- After you have ovulated if you are actively trying to get pregnant
- When you are pregnant
- If you have any active infections in the perineal/vaginal region
- If you have a genital piercing it is recommended that it is removed to avoid the metal heating up and causing a burn
Call me today if you would like to discuss your specific health issues, and I will be able to give you guidance on how I may be able to help you.