About April Wood-Acupuncturist
Home » About April Wood-Acupuncturist
April Wood – Acupuncturist, Childbirth Educator, and Doula
Nurturing Life was created through the growing need for people to take control of their health, as well as the need for independent support during pregnancy, childbirth, and post partum for women. I am the owner of Nurturing Life, and I aim to empower everyone to live enriched, and nurtured lives.
I grew up in a small country town in Northern New South Wales called Murwillumbah. After completing my Year 12 Higher School Certificate I moved to Melbourne to be closer to part of my family. While down in Melbourne I decided that I would study Acupuncture. This occurred completely randomly and surprised everyone including myself! At the time of enrolling I knew nothing about acupuncture other than it was from China and involved needles, I had never even had a treatment.
After studying at Australian College of Natural Medicine (now known as Endeavour College) at both Melbourne and Brisbane campuses I have completed:
- Bachelor Health Science (Acupuncture) -2005
- 2 x Advanced Diploma Health Science (Acupuncture)- 2004, 2007 (A long story as to why there are 2!)
- Certificate IV Remedial Massage (Oriental Massage)- 2003
During my study of acupuncture I felt like I had come home as it all ‘made sense’ and really resonated with my beliefs and meant that my natural intuition for healing had an avenue to be used. I have never once regretted her decision to become an acupuncturist on such a spur of the moment!
Over the years I have continued to explore different aspects and styles of acupuncture, and have found some amazingly gentle techniques that can have some great results. If you aren’t a fan of needles I use the finest (thinnest) needles available, and use minimal points- some treatments may only have two needles!
I also developed an interest in womens health as well as pregnancy and birth preparation after the birth of my first son. This interest sparked further education through Childbirth International:
- Certified Labour Doula – 2010
- Diploma Childbirth Education – 2013
- Post Partum Doula – 2014
- Certified Breastfeeding Counsellor – currently studying
I have also gone on to become a trainer for Childbirth International.
By combining my skills, I am able to provide a one of a kind service to the women I support. I am able to provide a true continuity of care throughout the whole parenting experience from conception to birth and beyond.
The main aim of my support is to provide clients with information to empower themselves to lead better lives, as well as to take charge of their lives.
I am a registered practitioner with AHPRA as well as an accredited member of the Australian Traditional Medicine Society (ATMS) which means you will be able to make private health insurance claims for all acupuncture treatments.
I love to explore the many different styles of acupuncture, as well as delving into the many different facets of birth. As such I regularly attend further training.
– Connected Midwifery (combining acupuncture and birth work) – 2009
– Practical Fertility Solutions – 2009
– The 8 Extra Meridians – 2009
– Active Birth – 2010
– Natural Pain Free Birth – 2010
– Creating the space – 2010
– Motivating partners – 2010
– Empty Arms- dealing with pregnancy loss – 2010
– Turning Breech babies – 2011
– Understanding and treating Menopause – 2011
– Treating Unexplained Infertility in Men and Women – 2013
– Foundations of Kiiko Matsumoto Style Acupuncture- 2013
– Five Element Acupuncture- 2014
– Advanced Kiiko Matsumoto seminar- 2014
– Paediatric ShoniShin seminar- 2015
– Integrated Synergy Therapeutics- 2016